Saturday, October 27, 2007

Reminder of why I ride, Death of a cyclist.

I rode four out of five days this week. Popped a spoke Monday in Yarraville, just about exactly half way, so I squeaked on slowly to Abbotsford cycles and left the bike there to be fixed. Picked it up after work - $15 and great service. Not feeling too well on Wednesday so I used the train. Coming home on Wednesday night, waiting at Flinders Street, the message came over the PA that Werribee line trains were not running, and all us Werribee people should catch a Syndenham train to Footscray, then a bus to Newport as there had been a level crossing accident at Yarraville. The experience of the trip home was reminded me of all the reasons I ride – the train was grossly overcrowded, people physically crushed up against one another. It took an interminable time to get through the loop, with long periods of time when it just sat, and all the crushed people got hotter and the sense of desperation grew. It stopped again just outside Footscray, waited, started, stopped suddenly so everyone fell over as far as they could being packed tight, people started looking green and ready to pass out. At Footscray, a huge crowd of people milling around while Met employees wandered around looking harassed but offering no guidance, control or assistance. People in wheel chairs, parents with a young child in a stroller, people everywhere not knowing where to wait, or what might happen next. A bus pulled up, nearest people surged on, general panic and chaos. We gave up, and walked to the other side of Footscray to catch the regular bus that goes through Altona. That was packed too with people who had had the same idea, but at least we got on, and we got home, somewhat later than I would have got home had I ridden my bike.

While on the bus, I overheard someone saying that it was a cyclist that had been involved in the level crossing accident, and indeed that proved to be the case. The Age next day ran a brief article on the incident. I don't know anything beyond the account in The Age, but it's all too easy to imagine. It's such a waste of a life, and I'm so sorry for his family and friends. Every day I see cyclists taking risks of varying degrees, just to get that bit ahead, to get where they are going a bit faster. I know I've done exactly the same sort of thing, and every now and then there's the chance that you get it wrong, you miscalculate, and you either get a bent bike and some bruises, or you get killed. There is a huge amount to be done to build safer cycling infrastructure, but at the end of the day, we've got to develop safer cyclists as well.

Anyway, back on the bike again for the rest of the week, just pottering, but I get there. I'm developing a new commuting style where I really don't push – just put in about the same level of effort that I would if I was walking. Seems to take about 5 -10 minutes longer but my energy levels are higher and I suppose I will slowly get fitter over time.

Saturday morning Anne and I got up early, before the wind kicked up, and rode over to Newport then back round through Williamstown, had breakfast at the Rotunda on Williamstown beach, then home. Good to ride just for the pleasure of it.


Tally for the week
323 Kilometers
Rained: 1 - Monday Night
$ spent on bike stuff: $15 for the new spoke and wheel true, plus I cracked and bought a cue clip, $10
Near misses: none.


 


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It to describe about the I rode towards the front of the group so some good glimpses of the enormous bike train that was chugging it is way through the city behind me.Bikes Sale Melbourne