Saturday, September 15, 2007

Spring ...

I had forgotten, but this week a few of the key characteristics of Spring became evident to me again - compared to winter, its warmer, its windier and it can be wet.
I rode in three days this week. One day was a school concert for my daughter, and I actually drove the car in. Next day I had an all day meeting in town - if there was a place to get a shower and lock the bike, I would have ridden. What we need is a cycle hub in the city with showers and secure bike parking. Missing riding two days, my leg muscles couldn't quite believe their luck. I noticed that I was as hungry as if I was riding 60 k a day - some sort of time lag as if my body was still sending out the message for more food, even though I wasn't doing anything to need it. I guess that's how people who ride a lot and then stop can wind up looking like mortadella sausages. Also found myself getting distinctly scratchy and edgy - definitely missing those endorphins. Great, now I'm a cycle commuting addict.

I managed not to spend any money on bike related gear this week, which is a first. More important, and far more difficult, I managed to maintain a calm and benevolent regard for my fellow persons - motorists, cyclists and pedestrians. Towards the weather gods, I was not so charitable. Had the experience of riding into a blustery northerly all the way to work on Monday, then, by home time and the arrival of a cold front, into a blustery south westerly all the way home. Rained quite heavily on Tuesday morning. Thanks to the old plastic bags on the feet trick, my shoes and socks stayed dry and my feet toasty. My rain jacket is fine in all respects except for one - it doesn't actually keep out rain. I arrived a bit damp. Didn't get to leave work on Tuesday till after 8, and putting on a still damp rain jacket and tshirt for the ride home in the dark took a bit of will power, but once I got going, it was lovely - super quiet and very peaceful. Friday coming home was again into the teeth of a blustery wind.

All in all though I feel like I've got the routine and the equipment together to commute safely and consistently.

Tally for the week:

220 Kilometers.
Rained on: two out of three days - great for the garden
Near misses: None
Punctures: None.
$ on Bike stuff: None

No comments: